The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 56 made on Thursday December 13, 2007 at 20:05
The Others
Long Time Member
December 2007
To everyone: My PCBs are in transit between Malaysia and Montreal. I should get them next Monday. I’ll have a remote for Daniel Tonks very soon, so he can review it.

Smokinghot,

I don’t think criticism on ideas is problematic. On a contrary it may help improve things. Just the idea of having to modify an existing Sony PS3 Remote is a ‘band aid’ in its big glory. There is no doubt about that. I think everyone will agree on this.

First, there is no issue with the PowerON. So this case is closed.

The problem with the PS3 shutdown is the fact that many steps are required to do the final shutdown. It has nothing to do with how the remote is sending the code(s) to the console. Unfortunately Engineers of the PlayStation OS have choose to create that multi-level steps. They probably choose that avenue to guaranty proper closure of all the open files. I don’t think it is wise to power off Windows or Linux by pulling the AC outlet; one day or another, OS will die doing this. The same logic probably applies to PlayStation 3. Will it be like that in future version? No outsider at this point can tell. But, if eventually they add some settings to control the way it safely shutdown, then the macro to do the steps will become irrelevant.

I agree with you that the macro isn’t fool proof. In my setup I only have ONE device that has discreet Power ON/OFF, my Denon amp. All other devices work with a toggle Power. If for some reason someone breaks the sequence of ‘activity switching’ or ‘powering sequence’ then you may be left in a state where one or more devices are not in the right state. So IMO all IR devices with no discreet Power ON/OFF are prone to errors, they are not full proof.

I did search for the discreet Power OFF via the BlueTooth remote with no success, but I haven’t given up.

Regards,
Ben

Hosting Services by ipHouse