Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 34 made on Sunday December 9, 2007 at 19:14
The Others
Long Time Member
December 2007
Hi everyone,

Daniel Tonks started that thread on my behalf. I first contacted him in mid November to explain that I designed a gismo to fully control PS3 with IR remote. My question was: Is there any interest for such product? His answer was: "At minimum I'd love to get one for myself!".

So I did my homework. My proto was put to test for a month. Wife and kids are controlling DVD playback with the Harmony 880 IR remote and they love it. Family is now back to ONE remote that controls all the features of my home theater system, as it should be. And this includes the PS3.

I’m very well aware of USB solutions. First problem for me was the unavailability here in Canada and second problem was the bug reports I saw here and there on forums. So my solution is not based on a USB dongle.

The big questions everyone is probably asking themselves, how was it done? My solution is simple; the best way to control the PS3 is with the native PS3 remote (see ). Sony will always guaranty full functionality with there own products. So how can I extend the BlueTooth functionality and add the IR capability, in short create an IR to BlueTooth converter for PS3. So what I did is to integrate in the Sony PS3 remote an IR receiver plus small embedded CPU that will decode the IR stream (I used the standard PS2 coding, probably known by all programmable remotes) and next simulate the key press. This ‘add on’ circuit is embodied in the PS3 remote. In the front of the remote a small hole is done to expose the IR receiver. On the side of the remote a type M jack is added to allow permanent external 3V power supply to be used. The ‘add on’ circuit doesn’t interfere at all with the keypad functionality of the remote. With this, you now have a bi-mode remote: BlueTooth + IR. You can see this solution as a bridge between IR and BlueTooth. The only keys I can’t address are the four RED, GREEN, BLUE, and YELLOW keys because there are no discrete PS2 IR codes for those, at least for Logitech.

I'll put on the side the 3V Power jack because for permanent integration it makes big sense. Moreover during my test I realized very quickly that when BlueTooth is active between the Sony PS3 remote and the PS3 it can drain the batteries in a month. So for integrators it is a must. The 3V Power Supply + the type M jack are available at Radio Shack/The Source.

My proto phase is completed and I'm ready to order PCBs and parts. With my first minimal order I'll have 162 small PCBs to start with! Parts can be order in smaller quantities.

So my offer is the following:

- You own the Sony PS3 remote; I modify it for you: 30$/remote.

- You don't own one; you buy one, and next I modify it for you: 30$/remote.

- I buy the remote for you and I modify it for you: PS3 remote street price $? + 30$/remote. You save one way shipping in this case.

- You have VERY WELL TRAINED electronic assembler available (I mean it, very small fine pitch components need to be soldered inside the remote), I provide the instructions + the ready to use circuit: 20$/circuit. BTW to open the PS3 remote is not as easy as it looks; I had to design a tool to efficiently and safely open the remote.

- The modification on my side will be done by a very well trained production technician. I'll conduct myself the programming of the ‘add on’ and will also does a small test after the mod. It is not a 5 minutes job, which explains the 30$/remote.

- Shipping in/out is not part of my pricing.

- I’ll address only the Canadian market to start. At the moment I have no clue how to address the custom/border/brokers issues. But I’ll document myself on this. Comments are welcome.

- Payment method to be confirmed.

- Availability is for early January 2008.

- 3 months warranty.

Please understand that this is an aftermarket thing. It will not become a Google business, :( for me. I first did this to address a need I had for my personal setup. With the replies I saw in this thread so far and the response I had with few integrators here in Montreal I see that there is a small market for my device. I know that sooner or later a major will have a ready to go device that will do exactly what I achieved. In the mean time, I’m there and ready to share.

BTW, to achieve all this I had to buy an emulator to debug the code on my CPU and a Digital Sampling Oscilloscope was a must to understand the protocol I had to implement. This is not necessarily easily accessible to everyone. I don’t think this is a DIY project. But I’m 100% certain I’ll be copied or somebody else will have the same idea, if not, I’m feeding the idea here.

On a final note, I’ll do my best to provide to Daniel Tonks a modified remote before the end of 2007 so he can review it and say if it’s a go or not.

If you are interested in my offer, please post at: [email protected]. I’ll be able to established accurate demands and order right amount of components. And also prepare myself business wise. Hope I’ll hear from you PS3 owners.

Regards,
Ben

[email protected]

Hosting Services by ipHouse