Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 269 made on Thursday February 5, 2009 at 12:57
rbhfan
March 2003
I was installing some software on my laptop the other day and to register the software it prompted me with a phone number and 6 digit code then asked for another code in return. I called the number and, after they verified that I had indeed paid for the software, they had me read the 6 digit code and then gave me a different 6 digit code to punch in. The guy explained to me it was a rotating code to cut down on people freely sharing the software.

I thought to myself that a similar type solution would be a potential solution to this problem.

CI business A installs the system. They lock the "code" with their master password rendering the code useless without their password. Client has said code in their possession, but without software and the password it's not accessible.

Now CI business A goes belly up or leaves town or retires and CI business B is called to troubleshoot, add equipment ect. When CI business B attempts to access the code it prompts them with a 6 digit code that could be called into crestron, amx, or whoever to get a return code to unlock it. This would keep code usable to Authorized dealers only and give the customers the reassurance that they wouldn't be dead in the water if a company were to go under.
One thing I have learned in this industry. It is easier to pull a wire than it is to push one.

Hosting Services by ipHouse