The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 137 made on Thursday January 29, 2009 at 09:30
Colzie
Lurking Member
January 2009
On January 28, 2009 at 08:03, juliejacobson said...
because their dealers go out of business and they are
left with 100s of thousands of dollars of junk.

Knowing that (and I WILL publish that), who would take
such a risk?

Julie,

I'm an independent AMX programmer. I take pride in what I do, but not so much that I think everyone wants my code and are just waiting to stumble onto a system I've done to steal my awesome work so they can reproduce it and make a killing.

AMX hardware allows you to store the uncompiled source code on the processor. I do this. Always. If a client wants a copy of the source code (and their bill is paid), I provide it.

Here is my point of view:
KEEP THE CLIENT HAPPY and you won't be in a situation of someone stealing your code! This is what it comes down to -- programmers don't want other programmers to steal their work. I understand this, and I feel the same way. But I also feel that a happy client is A#1. If they don't have a reason to go somewhere else then there is no threat of "code stealing".

I've been on the other side too many times -- oh, sorry, we don't have the source code. Yes, it is a pain. This is why I'm not so clingy about my code.

But Julie, PLEASE don't make your article "AMX/Crestron BAD! Control4/Lifeware GOOD!". Granted, I don't know the details of C4/LW, but my understanding is they are not able to do the custom programming to the level of AMX/C. There are a lot of people that DO WANT that level of customization. Scaring them away from AMX/Crestron isn't helping the industry provide the high-end customization that the high-end (big $$) clients want.

Making the public aware of the "no code" situation is fine, but steering them away from AMX or Crestron isn't necessary.

To all those afraid of someone stealing your work: GET SOME CONFIDENCE! Make your clients happy, make some money, and stay in business!

Hosting Services by ipHouse