Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 133 made on Wednesday January 28, 2009 at 23:49
CoryBurgess
December 2007
I think, if it were possible, that I would give a client my program file in a "load only" format, with maybe a document that shows the macros and such.

Personally for things like small URC and RTI systems, this point is just silly. Where it becomes an issue is with custom built graphics and written code that the client receives but probably isn't being charged for the actual time it took to build those graphics or code.

I know that Crestron/AMX system modules are where this area really b/c sticky b/c the client is not being charged for 100 hours for a single module that you perfected a year ago.

Sure you can write up a copyright, but how in the hell would you enforce it or ever find out, really.

I think how you sell the system can also determine who owns the programming, if you are charging hourly to put together a program, to me that's very similar to being an employee of a company that you write software for and they own.

On the other hand, if you sell a complete fixed price control system that you have developed the layouts and graphics for and the customer is simply purchasing an end product, well that's it.

Is either way right, I don't know, but I don't think that WE should just give away our creativity and time spent in developing custom, creative graphic sets or well written modules.

The problem with having the client purchase it, is that THEY won't be the one using it. It will be another CI company there tweaking and now having full access to all of your labor FOR FREE!

I do have to say this, if you are gonig to B!T<|-| About giving away your programming software. YOU DAMN WELL BETTER NOT BEING STEALING/DOWNLOADING MUSIC, MOVIES, & SOFTWARE FROM PEER-TO-PEER SITES!
Cory
"you like our booties? Oh, you must mean the shoe covers."

Hosting Services by ipHouse