Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 113 made on Wednesday January 28, 2009 at 17:55
MikeZTC
June 2007
You know, I'm on the fence with this one...

On the one hand, we always provide the customer with a copy of the un-compiled CSP code, right along with the CAD's, the scope of work, the operations manual, and the manufacturer manuals; it's in our contract as our "deliverables package".

On the other hand, all of our proprietary programming framework modules (Room, source, and UI modules) and any device drivers we write for devices not in the I2P program are encrypted. As others have stated, it's simply referenced inside of the un-encrypted customer file. This allows us to retain the crap that took me hundreds of non-billable hours and many systems to get right for ourselves, yet give the customer the flexibility to swap a Panasonic plasma for a Pioneer plasma, or add a Blu-ray in the event that we part ways...

As far as GUI's go, I don't really care about the .VTP file. All of our recent graphics have been a modified Destiny template, which is available to all Crestron dealers, or custom Fireworks/Photoshop jobs. The custom jobs require a fair bit of time, but the editable form of those files is Fireworks PNG, or .PSD rather than the .PNG that is in the VTpro project. Once you save the project, the graphics lose all references to the original program.

I'm definitely scheduling an appointment with my attorney to verify that we are within our rights, and what verbage should be added to the contract to specifically state that there is a difference between our "Programming framework" and "Connecting the dots"

To sound like a broken record, I am all for consumer fairness and transparency. We're not in the business of screwing people over. We have never had a problem with getting fired by clients and putting them in that awkward situation. If we were placed in that position and we had given our due diligence I for one would might just concede the code to to get them out of my hair. I'm not one to restrict free enterprise.

This seems to be happening all the time recently. Due to some of the comments in this post, it seems to me like poor business practices are diluting the value of Crestron, hurting the _professional_ dealer base, and skewing customers towards Control 4 which is bad ;). Chalk it up to averages, it happens in any industry.

I like Iron Mountain's idea, (ironically, they're a client and I was talking my contact when I originally read that) and would be willing to open lines of communication with Iron Mountain Digital for you, Julie, if you want to talk to them. I'm sure they have plenty of insight that can be offered to the topic. Gonna have to give em' a call anyway...

Mike
MikeZTC, CTS-D, CTS-I, DMC-E

Hosting Services by ipHouse