The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 98 made on Wednesday January 28, 2009 at 14:47
Spyeguy
Long Time Member
April 2006
On January 28, 2009 at 13:41, Terrmul said...
Julie, you agreed with Spyeguy's "words of wisdom" that
people that keep modules should get off their high horse.
I say you clearly don't understand how a module works
and that Spyeguy either doesn't use highly customised
modules or doesn't understand them either.

I am an AMX programmer who has written many modules. I freely share these modules with colleagues of mine and have posted some on various forums. I understand how long it takes to write these things and how much work goes into them. It just so happens that I learned to code from reverse engineering the code of others who were kind enough to share with me, so it would be in bad form to not share with others.

As I stated the new world of software development is more and more going to the open source model. Why? Because many minds are better than one. Some times when I share a module it comes back to me better than when it left.

However I understand the desire of people to protect their modules, and what do you know, with AMX you can do just that. You can compile the module and the end user or their hired gun will never be able to get at the inner workings.

The state of the modules in the code is less relevant to the end user than having the source code itself, why do they care if the module is locked or not, only that it works. And if the end user has the source code, than doing something like swapping out a piece of gear is hardly a massive undertaking.

Hosting Services by ipHouse