The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 91 made on Wednesday January 28, 2009 at 13:26
Terrmul
Advanced Member
April 2005
Julie, clearly as such a complex topic the answer cannot be as simple as "if your not able to get all the code then buyer beware you may be better of with the likes of control 4/Liifeware".

There is a good deal of minutiae that when combined can make huge differences to the ultimate decision a client might make and if you exclude much of this from an article you are doing not only the CI's a disservice but you may oversimplify the information a client should be aware of.

Some things that a customer should ask:

How long has the CI been in business?

Can I see another working system at a client's home?

What does the contract state with regards to receipt of code?

What is the difference between modules and code and which do I get? (A very important point that if not defined clearly or understood could completely change a clients perception of a CI.)

Does the system include an up-to-date schematic? (Ours do, a very important item that would assist any programmer in generating new code)

Do I get the graphics? Are they template based, customised or purchased from a third party GUI vendor?

At what stage do I get my receivables - code, drawings, disks etc? At training, full payment, when...?

Are there arbitration agreements in the contract so that if things go wrong and the one of parties wants out there is still potential for the client to receive any code as part of a settlement?

What are the expected service costs of any system and when are these performed?

How much customisation do I require from my control system? Is the system I am looking at capable of such customisation?

How expandable is the system? Can I make adds and changes freely or am I restricted to a certain number of components or devices without making a major upgrade?

All of the above and more are important educational points for a customer and could dictate whether a client chooses AMX/Crestron or Control4/Lifeware but also ensures that they get the right CI for their job.

Simplifying the decision to just about code is to discount many other reasons that should be carefully considered.
www.beyondhometheater.com
[Link: facebook.com] [Link: twitter.com]
Performance Technology For Your Home.

Hosting Services by ipHouse