The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 82 made on Wednesday January 28, 2009 at 11:53
schueydoo
Long Time Member
September 2004
I don't program AMX or Crestron. I only program URC remotes. That being said, you know I'm just a small time guy. We have a retail establishment, and have been around for many years, and hope to be around for many more. We service our clients needs, after the sale, usually at a discounted rate, or free. I do not however, just give the clients the file for the remote they have purchased.

The programming software for URC is protected, and only given to authorized dealers. I'm sure, however, that it can be found around the internet, although I have never looked for it.

When I program a remote for a client, most of it is drag and drop from other files, and other clients remotes. Even the UI is pre-programmed stuff, from the URC software. I can program a remote pretty quickly and get stuff working. The extra time comes in when I start moving stuff around, and changing button bmp's, wording on the buttons, etc. including macros that work, and client supplied bmp's for backgrounds on pages.

If the client asks for a copy of the software, I password protect it, and hand it over. I do not provide the programming software from URC, nor do I provide my password. I explain to them that it is simply a back-up copy of the working remote, in case they try to tinker, and make catostrophic mistakes. It is useless without the programming software from URC. Moreover, given the learning curve of programming remotes, even those that are not AMX and Crestron, makes it prohibitive for the client to DIY the remote himself.

I feel pretty strongly about this issue. The client does not pay for all my time, learning, and storing my codes, and macros. So, they don't get to "own" it. If they get the programming software by some means other than me, and tinker with the remote, they can re-download my working program. Password protection on my file, permits this, but it does not permit reading the macros, and codes I have installed. This protects me from the next CI guy getting my education at no expense, so he can copy and use my work. (the password is only 4 characters, but at least it's something...lol)

I agree, with most CI's here, that any article printed, should consult one or more copyright attorney's opinion on the matter. To present an opinion of your's or your magazine's without such input by professionals would be less than prudent. You need to realize that people tend to believe what is printed, and take it as fact. And without facts presented by professionals, the article would do a disservice to CI's, and consumers alike.

It's been mentioned here before, and poo-poo'd but I agree with this sentiment.....you paid for the soup...not the recipe.

just my 2 cents

mike
It's always something.....sigh.

Hosting Services by ipHouse