Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday May 13, 2000 at 16:31
Rob
Historic Forum Post
I've been thinking about these wonderful UEIC remotes and trying to determine how they work and I think I've figured it out.

My guess is that a device code consists of a starting frequency and a field mapping. Advanced code 000 would be equal to the starting frequency and code 001 would be the starting freq plus one, with "one" being whatever the difference is between all the frequencies, code 002 would be plus 2, etc. Then each button on the remote would have a unique number, and the mapping would be something along the lines of

button 1 = start freq +3
button 2 = start freq +44
etc

You get the idea?

Because of the way certain equipment evolves, there are plenty of examples of hi-fi equipment that use frequencies from more than one range, so the device codes also have to include a reference to extension frequencies, however I believe that each device code (with a leading zero) is a set range of frequencies (covering 256 "slots").

If this theory is correct, then our next step should be to find some kind of IR reader that will tell us the actual frequencies given out by each of the device codes so we can deduce the range. We would also be able to determine if the codes are really in adv code order, or Original Button Code order.

Where does this get us? Well, once we have compiled a list of device codes and their frequencies, we should be able to find any missing code that's on your original remote, assuming that all ranges are covered by esiting device codes.

Say a button does not exist in the adv codes for your device, simply point the original remote at the IR reader and find out what freq of the signal is, then find a device code that has the right range and then find the adv code for the missing button.

Devices that are not covered by the remotes, such as the Raite DVD player, can be programmed the same way that we have programmed for the Apex DVD player, but we can deliberately find the codes rather than waiting for someone to experience cross-over with an existing device.

Does this make sense to anyone and does anyone know of an IR reader that can maybe be hooked up to a PC?

Rob.

Hosting Services by ipHouse