Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Wednesday February 20, 2008 at 08:39
Stealth X
November 2005
well i finally got the opportunity to compare a BD title to an HD-DVD title last night, and so happens it was The Planet Earth so it addressed this issue at the same time. the BD does the exact same thing. it is the 3rd episode "Freshwater".... the poor quality can be seen right from the beginning, especially when the camera goes off the edge of the cliff at Angel Falls. i GUESS one could say it may still be a handshaking issue as the PS3 also goes through my reciever, but given the absolute perfection i've seen from other BD titles i dont think so (i think this is an issue-once your used to perfection i now see flaws much more prominently). so i suspect its just that episode. if anyone reading this owns Planet Earth and has a chance, check out that episode and LMK if you find the same thing.

so the PQ was exactly the same. but while the sound codecs are the same (both plain old DD) the BD sounds alot better. for starters i dont have to turn my reciever up near as high, in fact on HD DVD i have the vol set to -10, where as bd i get the same level with my vol set to -30 (which is a lower vol-we all know how that works). also with HD-DVD i have to turn on the dialogue enhancer otherwise the narrators voice is drowned out, where as BD he comes through clearly without said engancment. the bass was also much more prominet on BD, and the SS seems to travel better.

i suppose all this is moot now, but at least i know i wasnt comparing apples and oranges by having a defective HD-DVD player.

Hosting Services by ipHouse