Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 16 made on Thursday July 18, 2002 at 17:01
lando622
Founding Member
May 2002
James,

Great advice in your above post, and I'll explore it even further! Messing around this afternoon, I was able to figure out what was going on with my remote to at least get me programming macros. Now, I'll just look for cleaner ways of handling everything as I get more proficient with shortcuts and such. You helped me tap into a great deal of functionality with this remote that RS's customer service didn't know existed.

I had to implement advanced codes (thanks for the suggestion) for parts of three functions I programmed into one macro: getting my Sony Wega to Video 4 for my component hookup, switching 16:9 mode on, and disabling TV speakers (to keep wife from having to turn TV volume down). The default/learned codes wouldn't work properly. For example, hitting the 'TV/VCR' button any more than three times never worked; it would always stop in the middle of the macro. Since none of the advanced codes for 'Video 4', or their multiples, worked, I simply plugged in the 'Video 3' code to an open key and this allowed me to only have the 'TV/VCR' button plugged in one time in the macro to get me to 'Video 4'. The entire video menu sequence worked correctly for adjusting my screen to 16:9, but was inconsistent with respect to turning off the speakers in the audio menu. Again, an advanced code that does this very function saved about 11 key punches and works like a charm. This code came from the first link that Rob listed in his site dealing with the advanced code subject.

Right now, all I'm trying to do is set up the remote so that my wife can load up a DVD without having a meltdown. I think we've succeeded there, and I'll keep looking through Rob's tips for better integration of everything.

The real pain in the butt was/is that there's no simple '16:9' button on my Sony remote, and they buried this function deep in a menu. It is irritating to my wife to watch me flip through the menu every time we have a wide-screen DVD. Now, the remote can handle it with one button along with all the other video set-up that has to happen.

Again, without the advanced codes I never would have had success. The straight key punches just wouldn't work properly. Now that I have a better idea of what is going on, Rob's directions on his site make SO much more sense to me.

Thanks for your help and advice.

One last bit: my 2104 is handling my Sony Wega TV (nothing too fancy; 32" non-HDTV model), Onkyo 600 receiver, Sony DVD player, and Emerson VCR. The Onkyo's remote is an extremely capable unit as well, though it doesn't have the backlighting of the 2104. Also, there's only two macro buttons, and I can set the 2104 up for more than that now that I'm off and running.

Have a good one!

lando

Hosting Services by ipHouse