The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 163 made on Saturday February 1, 2003 at 23:46
ryan schnacke
Lurking Member
February 2003
This past week I bought the 2116, soldered together a JP1 interface and upgraded/programmed my remote using KM and IR. I'd just like to say thanks to the folks that posted here and those who have made contributions to the JP1 interface project. The documentation was very good - I was up and running without posting a single question.

Initially I wanted the remote just to generate codes for my Sony CD changer - bought as a floor model with no remote. My Onkyo receiver's remote is pretty nice but had no CD player codes so I figured I'd learn them from the 2116. But now I'm thinking the 2116 will displace the Onkyo as my all-in-one solution.

I've programmed macros on the device keys for the devices we own. Each one will set up the entire system for playing that source - including shuting down unneeded components. Then I added a power-down macro to shut everything down. Now my wife will be able to watch TV in Dolby Pro Logic 2 and DVD's in 5.1 without any help from me. Very nice.

Only a few minor issues. The memory is limited so its important to use it efficiently. I would give up some of the learning memory in exchange for extra key-move/macro memory. Instead I chose to learn a few commands I could have key-moved. Macros that use 8 - 10 steps take about 4 - 5 seconds to execute so you must continue to point the remote at the components for a while. But I don't know if it would be any faster on other remotes since this is the first time I've tried macros. And on the positive side, I haven't found a need to insert delays (or pseudo-delays as the case may be) in my macros.

In all, this is an amazing value for $30. To get this kind of upgradability without a JP1 interface I'm thinking you'd spend over $150.

Hosting Services by ipHouse