The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 154 made on Tuesday January 21, 2003 at 12:45
gfb107
Founding Member
October 2001
I have a 1994, and 4 Cinema 7+ (URC7800). I also bought my parents a 2116 for the holidays (we gave then a DVD player, they've recently acquired a DirecTiVo, have an A/V receiver, CD player and VCR). The LCD makes programming the remote manually a bit easier, but JP1 is even easier, so at that point the LCD is useless for me.

Of these, I like the Cinema 7+ best, mostly because of the size. The only minor drawback is that it doesn't come with the JP1 connectors in place, but once that is taken care of, you are good to go.

Like the 1994, the Cinema 7+ has the 4 dedicated learning buttons, but in addition has 2 macro buttons. That's 6 more buttons than the 2116. If I were looking to buy a new remote I think I would look closely at the URC8811. It is still missing the 4 learning keys, but does have a dedicated macro button and has the fast-rewind and fast-fast-forward buttons.

If the larger size is a turn-off, then consider the URC8011 or URC6012. These dont' have larning, and aren't JP1 compatible, but can be modified to be, or can even be sent back to OFA to have a device upgrade added. When OFA does this, they actually send you one that is JP1 enabled! That's how they do the device upgrade. And they only charge you for shipping!

Hosting Services by ipHouse