The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 45 made on Wednesday October 30, 2002 at 21:46
TransAmMan
Long Time Member
October 2002
Just received the 15-2116. Initial impression is very favorable. 8 device buttons and a "My System" button for assigning 5 key groups from different devices to a single device. Volume punch through works well and allows you to individually remove devices from the punch through. The LCD screen is very intuitive and walks a user through the functions. Never seen the 15-1995 (in person) to compare how that worked but I assume its probably similar. See Rob's post for a photo.

RS must have had many complaints about the manual as this one is vastly improved (Still not as good as Rob's custom ones though) and its in large print that can be read without a microscope. The manual actually makes mention of keymoves and macros and lets you put them on almost any key (sorry, still not on device keys). I'll try to scan it in if there is interest and would need to post it somewhere; not sure if its really applicable to be posted to the JP1 group.

Speaking of JP1......the beautiful 6 pin connector shining under the battery cover begs to be plugged in. Already tried the proto RDF file posted (by Rob of course) in the JP1 Group. I was able to configure the remote with no problems. Saved settings, reset defaults and restored with no problems. Haven't done much more, though, so there may be some bugs in the beta version. Only time will tell.

Overall, I think this is a worthy successor to the 15-1994, et al. Everytime my wife drops our 1994 I get nervous since there was no replacement. Not any more. I am very happy with what I have seen so far. With that said.....I would like to have some dedicated macro keys, 4 would be nice. Also would like dedicated PIP channel up/down keys. Right now I plan to use freeze/move for that function and shift the regular functions on those keys. (I didn't see the manual mention shifting although it may be in there.) And would it kill them to allow the user to adjust backlight time. If anyone has any thoughts on this let me know.

All in all, I think the 15-2116 is the best remote for under $100 right now (replace with 15-2117 if you need RF, whenever available). Well time for apologies, I cursed your name Radio Shack for several days when you discontinued the 1994, and for many more with the 2104. You did alright.

PS. I would also love to give GM an apology for canceling the Camaro/TransAm but until they come up with a replacement...F'em. :)

Hosting Services by ipHouse