The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 43 made on Wednesday October 30, 2002 at 12:59
johnsfine
IR Expert
September 2002
Jim, This comes so soon after the 8910 from designers who must somehow have thought all the limiting quirks of the 8910 (especially HT) were a good idea, that I'd be amazed if they haven't crammed a similar pile of stupid restrictions into this one.

Of course, all my speculation is less meaningful than a few experiments by the folks who have the remote.

I still don't understand why an LCD is worth the trouble. I really don't understand why (after knowing that an extender can do things like macros on device keys) anyone still wants a model that can't put macros on device keys (even if it didn't have extra stupid limits like the power key in HT mode on the 8910).

I'm not ready at the moment to rush out and buy one of these just so I can write an extender and have another remote like my RCU810 or 6012 sitting beside the computer waiting to test future bug reports or upgrades, while I continue to use my urc6800 (the only really good key layout) when I actually wathch TV. Maybe I'll get that crazy later. Maybe someone else will finally do something with all the commented extender source code I've uploaded. Meanwhile, I think these new remotes without extenders are just a worse deal than the remotes with extenders.

Hosting Services by ipHouse