The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Friday January 10, 2003 at 13:13
TransAmMan
Long Time Member
October 2002
For my first 15-1994, I made a template overlay, scanned into computer, then imported using raster to vector conversion to just get the outline. Then I added the labels using a cad package. Used white for normal functions, green for receiver functions, orange for power, yellow for vcr/dvr, and blue for TV. Output on an inkjet printer was OK but I was looking for perfection. So I went to Kinko's and had them print out a few on color laser onto .010" clear velvet lexan (supplied from a friend at a graphics company, btw, the artwork had a black background). Added a double sided adhesive sheet (purchased at Staples) to the back and tried to cut out all the holes for the keys (circle punches would be a great help there).

It worked ok, but here are the problems.
1. The remote has a complex surface curve (complex means that it's curved in more than one dimension) so when you try to attach the label, it doesn't want to lay flat without wrinkles. Its hard to see it but its definately there :(. In retrospect, mylar is probably a better base material because it can stretch much better.
2. Need a better adhesive, because even though I got the lexan to stretch a bit, it wanted to peel up. I recomend a 3M VHB 200 series if anyone wants to try this again.
3. Remote surface is not accustomed to labels because of its texture.
4. Really looked good for a few weeks before edges started peeling up. I should have matched the remotes black to the black on the artwork better since the label looked out of place.
5. I learned that by smart rearrangement of my keys, I (or my wife), really didn't need the labels anyway so I abandoned the project.

So, there it is, the story of the label that was, but just not for long. If I can find the artwork, maybe I can post it if anyone was interested.

Hosting Services by ipHouse