The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday February 5, 2003 at 02:11
Gromit
Lurking Member
February 2003
Hi all, first time poster. I've read thread after thread, numerous reviews, faqs, etc, and have quite a few questions and concerns that haven't been covered.

I'm in Vancouver BC, and choice around here is *terrible*. Most stores have the same cheap $10 models, all non-learning etc. Most mail order places refuse to ship to Canada (*DUMB* but that's a rant for another thread), Radio Shack Canada is a different entity than RS US, so many of the products available to you aren't available up here, and they can't get them in. So buying a remote means driving across the border and trying to find a store that carries them, or paying through the nose for shipping etc. Which is why I want to do this right the first time.

I'm looking for a simple (read cheap) remote to replace the six separates I currently have. From all my reading, it appears the One for All URC-8811, Radio Shack RS-2116 and possibly the RS-2104 are the most appropriate. This is my first remote purchase, I've never used any previous models, or held any of these to know which ones I prefer the feel of etc. The 2104 is available locally, for $60 Canadian, which seems a touch expensive.

First of all, my gear:
TV: Sony KV-32V36
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V620
DVD: Toshiba SD-1750
VCR: Panasonic PV-V4521-K
CD: Sony CDP-C365
Cable: Motorola DCT-2000

Of course my first concern is compatibility. Anybody with any of the above equipment I would appreciate hearing your experiences with any of the remotes I listed.

I've read several folks saying the lcd screen isn't that important, they don't care for it, etc. Just what exactly is displayed on the screen and when? Modes, channel numbers, errors?

My needs are fairly simple I think. Most of the system is the cable box, on screen guide, etc. Guide uses info, menu, exit, as well as page up and page down buttons that seem to be hard to find on remotes. A favourite button steps through each of the channels that I have marked in the box as a favourite, currently about 50 or 60 channels. :-)

The video and sound are routed through the receiver, so second most used is the receiver remote. So I need to be able to choose a video and audio source with the remote. On my current remote, this is done by choosing Input, then 1 for CD, 2 for Tuner, 4 for DVD etc. This can be done again to switch audio sources. So for example, I can Input 4 to switch to DVD, then Input 2 to listen to the radio instead of the movie. I guess this is where audio punch through is needed, volume in various modes should all change the receiver volume, not the tv etc.

For the DVD, commonly used buttons are the subtitle, audio, angle, display, menu, zoom, as well as FF, RW, chapter forward and back.

With the TV, the primary button used is the closed captioning that rotates between four choices (Toad I think?). Otherwise, it is rarely used except when watching the VCR. I have to switch video input source from the normal Video 1 to Video 3, since the vcr doesn't have s-video. This is done with the tv/video button which also has four settings. Occasionally, I'll use the PIP with this remote.

So, that's what I want to do. I gather I need to get into some fancy stuff to make all this happen, rather than simple code learning or key swapping. I'm a bit confused over the difference between extenders and JP1. 8811 has an extender, but 2116 doesn't? Both have a JP1 connector though, so is the lack of an extender a problem?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated, as well as places here or near Bellingham WA that would stock these, or companies that would ship to Canada via USPS.

- Steve

Hosting Services by ipHouse