The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Sunday February 23, 2003 at 13:16
Rayzz
Long Time Member
February 2003
I am a bit of a AV techno-newbie, but am upgrading my whole home entertainment system. It was all SONY and will now be a mix of manufacurers.

I was looking to get a learning remote to input codes to my SONY AV-3000, which is a bit bulky and hard to work with. Then I started through this forum and found that the Cinema 7 and 15-1994 would have been great, but are no longer available.

The 15-2116 looks to be a good choice as a follow on to the 2 mentioned above, and I have decided to get it, not to work WITH my AV-3000, but to REPLACE it.

Having said all of that, I am also intrigued by the discussions on JP-1 and have tried to do some searching through this forum and other links, but I am a bit confused and am hopeful that you can provide some input.

It appears that the 2116 has a JP-1 connection that requires only that I get a cable & plug it in, rather than go through a soldering/redesign loop. Is that correct?

More importantly, I have seen the info that talks to using a PC and downloading information rather than manually programming the unit. A couple of questions:
1) How/where do you attach the JP-1 cable to the computer? Is it a USB connection?

2) Is the JP-1 link/software compatible with Apple Macintosh - I have a new Apple G4 IMAC. (If pushed, I might be able to use my PC at work, but I'd prefer the MAC)

I apologize for the length of the post and the obvious shortfall in my knowledge, but your help will be most appreciated.

I'll check back later, but I am off to Radio Shack to but a 2116. Even if I can't take advantage of the JP-1 capability, the 2116 looks like a life saver.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Hosting Services by ipHouse