Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Monday March 10, 2003 at 22:10
bpkengor
Lurking Member
March 2003
All,

My new Samsung HDTV has an annoying characteristic. The inputs are selected with 2 buttons, each which scroll through several choices.

To switch from the TV tuner to the VCR composite input, I press the "TV/Video" button once on the supplied remote. To switch back, I have press the same button 4 times: passing the unused second composite input, the unused third composite input and the unused S-Video input.

To switch to the component input for the DVD player, I press a second "TV/Component" button. To switch back to the TV tuner, I have to press the same button 2 times, passing the unused second component input.

A big waste of keystrokes, imho. All of the great inputs on my new TV are now causing me to waste time accessing the 2 that I actually use.

I could automate this slightly by assigning keys with macros that scrolls from one mode to another mode while bypassing through the unused inputs. But that feels troublesome because the macro is only going to work properly if I am in the right source mode in the first place. The wrong choice will scroll too far or not far enough.

Ideally, I would like to somehow program my 2116 to know what input mode the TV is in and scroll appropriately to the desired input mode. One button to put me in DVD component input mode, no matter what. One button to put me in VCR composite input mode, no matter what. One button to put me back to the TV tuner, no matter what.

Am I smoking too much or could this be somehow managed with creative 2116 programming? I am guessing that this is really undoable because the 2116 can't really know what input mode the TV starts at. Agree or disagree?

I don't have my JP-1 cable yet but will soon.

Is my rambling making any sense to anyone? I'm probably not using descriptive terms here.

Hosting Services by ipHouse