The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 32 made on Sunday November 24, 2002 at 07:23
Stefan Hellwig
Long Time Member
November 2002
OK, here is some more info. Remember, I just have this remote for a few hours now.

I still don't know how this "motion sensor" is supposed to work. Sometimes it works very good, sometimes it does not. When it works the remote is very sensitive. Like someone already said: an active subwoofer "shockwave" could trigger the remote to activate the display.

I also noticed that the display is quite "noisy" when it is lit. It produces a "chirping" sound. OK, I admit that you only hear it when it is quiet but it could wake you up if you are sleeping next to your remote and activate it by accident (a turn in your sleep might be enough to activate it!).

The "tactile feedback" works like this: below the EL display (a "plastic-rubber alloy") are real buttons so it is not a real touchscreen. Instead, you press the display down onto the buttons underneath. I noticed that the buttons sometimes don't come back up immediately after they are pressed, they tend to stick - for a few milliseconds at least.

While you are operating the remote the "tactile feedback" feels OK, though. Do you know how it feels to operate those water-proof computer keyboards they have in hospitals? The Kameleon feels similar to that.

The display is easy to read in most, but not all, lighting situations. This morning, for example, bright daylight was shining directly on the remote (I have a roof window directly over my living-room couch). When I increased the brightness of the display from "default" to "maximum" readability was quite a bit better but still not perfect.

The buttons are quite easy to press, see above. I just noticed that when you have to hold the "MAGIC" key down until the "rabbit appears" it is not that easy to see that "rabbit" because your finger blocks the view of the icon. Thankfully, though, the IR status LED will blink as well when the "rabbit" is there so you know when you are in "MAGIC mode."

Balance is OK for my taste, I just think that the remote is a little bit too "wide" which makes it a little unconvenient to hold with one hand -- it depends on the size of your hand, of course :-). I think they should've made it a little bit "slimmer" -- more like my Bang&Olufsen BeoLink 5000. On the other hand this would have made the buttons smaller.

What I really like about the remote is that it will be easy to keep clean, especially compared to my "Topline 8" which looks very old already because it is hard to keep clean (dust is quite a problem in my room and sticks to the rubber buttons of the "Topline 8").

What's nice about the display are the little "animations." For example, if you control your VCR and press "fast forward" the remote will indicate that by a "rolling wheel" on the display. The device you are currently controlling is also indicated by an animated icon. At first, this looks nice, but it also slows you down since you have to look for the animated icon to know what device you are currently controlling. No big deal, I just noticed it.

I really like (and needed) the direct learning feature of the Kameleon where you put it into learning mode and feed it with IR signals of your existing remotes. Some keys were missing, e.g. my VCR's "Timer on/off" key, which I had to get into the Kameleon using that direct learning feature.

Like all the bigger One For All remotes the Kameleon has the "Key Magic" feature. I used it very much with my "Topline 8" but since it is nearly not documented in the manual you always have to call the service hotline to find out what you can do with that feature and what the codes are that you need. Once you know the codes it is quite convenient and you don't need the direct learning feature that much. However, it took me a while (and several calls to the service hotline) to figure out what it is good for... They should really add at least 1-2 more pages to the manual to explain what you can do with "Key Magic."

I'm still annoyed by the fact that there are no codes available for download, now I have to wait and call their service hotline to get the remote to work with my Harman/Kardon DVD player...

Is there any more you want to know?

Regards, Stefan.

Hosting Services by ipHouse