The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 24 made on Friday November 22, 2002 at 09:03
revwillie
Founding Member
January 2002
On 11/22/02 08:37.15, The Robman said...
I haven't seen one of these remotes in person
yet, but it sounds like there is the regular 6-hole
pad on the PCB, but there are no pins installed
in it, and furthermore, it sounds like there isn't
a hole in the casing the access the connector,
which would mean you would have to open up the
casing and remove the PCB to do a JP1 load/unload.

Once I get my hands onone of these, I'll be talking
to Tommy Tyler to see if we can't come up with
a more practical solution, something along the
lines of the "Stereo Interface" perhaps.

Rob
http://www.hifi-remote.com

Of course, I have not seen one myself either, but when I heard about the above, I wondered if the pads were spaced similarly to the holes in which we often solder jp1 headers. If so, all it would take is six small holes in the rear of the case to let a 6pin header through to contact the pads. There might be a pin length issue and the header would have to be held on tight by hand unless another fastening mechanism were used.

Also, tiny holes could be drilled through the pads if they are not overlapping other traces in a multilayer PCB. This would permit a header to be soldered in. I suppose a rectangular hole in the rear of the case would give adequate access to the pins.

Otherwise, there's always a possibility that a 4/6wire interface could be soldered onto the pads similar to the 4-wire REM400 or 15-2103 modification (remember the REM400 I sent you?). This would rely on a separate connector. If the VDD lines can be jumpered permanently, you only need a 4 conductor connector (maybe an RJ-22 jack or one of the 'stereo-like' 4 conductor jacks similar to the AV jacks in mini camcorders). Sheesh... just having 6 exposed pads for soldering is a luxury compared to what was available inside the latest PCB revision of the REM400.

If you need all six conductors for a temporary jumper of the VDD lines, there might be enough room in the case for a GameBoy link connector.

Hosting Services by ipHouse