Original thread:
Post 17 made on Wednesday March 26, 2003 at 10:21
asinsh
Long Time Member
November 2002
On 03/26/03 09:41, cbordman said...
so when you push 'DVD' the remote switches to
DVD mode AND your stereo receiver switches to
DVD mode? I might have to make one of them cables.

Yep, with a jp1 you can get your 2117 (or a lot of other radio shack or one-for-all remotes) to be the equivalent of a pronto (I'm not kidding). I control 8 devices with mine, and I can put in discrete codes that are not available in the OEM remote.

So, for example, my first device button (which I've labeled "Replay") turns on my monitor, switches it to the Replay input, turns on my receiver, switches it to the replay input and leaves the remote in replay mode so that I can control my replay (with volume punchthrough so that the volume button controls the receiver). Similarly, my second device button ("DVD") turns on my dvd player, turns on the monitor and switches it to the input from my external video processor, turns on that video processor and switches it to the dvd input, switches the receiver on and switches its input to dvd, and leaves the remote in DVD mode. And in each case I have a number of key moves so that, for example, I can switch the monitor screen mode (4:3, wide, zoom, etc) while I am watching replay or dvd or whatever.

My other device buttons are set up for other devices in similar fashion. And then I've got an OFF button that switches everything off (regardless of whatever was on before).

So I end up with a remote that is completely intuitive and easy for my kids or wife or baby sitter to use without any instruction despite a fairly complex rig.

Alan

Hosting Services by ipHouse