The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Tuesday April 1, 2003 at 12:23
johnsfine
IR Expert
September 2002
My first reply to this seems to have vanished.

Those 5 keys plus the backlight key share one scan line, so I assume the backlight key doesn't work either.

I'd be surprised if temporarily shorting that scan line to any voltage inside the remote would permanently damage the scan driver, but I'd also be surprised if it's still shorted after you opened to remove that screw, or if a trace on the PCB cracked from the drop or of the screw bouncing around was enough to scratch a gap in that trace.

With no likely theory, all I can suggest is open it up and find and examine the bad trace from where it emerges from under the epoxy to where it reaches the first key (unless the backlight key does work in which case the trace must be bad after it reaches the light key).

You should be able to identify the PCB "pads" for the 5 or 6 bad keys and you will see a trace tieing together one side of each of those pads. That trace is the one to inspect.

No point looking for damaged parts. The only part involved in that scan line is the main chip (under the epoxy). If its internal driver for that scan line is dead, there won't be a practical fix.

If the conductive ink (those black pairs at each button location) were damaged, only one key (or a few random keys) would be bad, not a set of keys sharing one scan line. Similarly for problems with the flexible pads (discussed in that link). Conductive ink (or the rear window defogger repair kit's conductive paint) might be enough to repair minor damage to the trace if you find the damaged spot.

Hosting Services by ipHouse