Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Tuesday October 14, 2003 at 12:46
jamesgammel
Founding Member
March 2002
To set the record straight:

John did provide a protocol upgrade for a DIFFERENT dbx unit, but it required a good bit of tweaking to make it match the original signal, repeat rates, etc, AND make it "learnable".

The 4BX required a totally different protocol, as noted with the mention concerning the 71K. I think it was Jon that provided the start for this protocol (not John).

At one time John proposed calling his protocol "dbx", but as you can see, there is really at least 2 "seperate" dbx protocols, and his "start" had some minor flaws which he recognized trying to learn signals to another JP-1 learning remote. THAT signal is unlearnable as well from the oem, and is for a preamp. I had to learn to another learning remote, then learn that signal to a ueic remote or it would still be "uncracked". The first remote would at least learn the signals but using the learned signals was a nightmare. Depending upon how it was learned, volume adjustments, for example, would either make HUGE jumps, or so itty-bitty that they were almost undiscernable. The 4BX is a dynamic range enhancer, not a preamp.

The other dbx units all use yet other protocols, the details of which I worked out on my own. Only the DX-5 cd player will work with a ueic provided protocol/setup code, and the only unit I've located on an exhaustive net search.

I've invested a huge amount of time and effort to working out all the details for all the dbx remote operated units, including buying a 1200.00 unit (which I don't use) just to get the unit and it's oem remote to know how it works, and the details needed to make a ueic remote operate similarly. I've also bought an additional unit just to get a remote because the first didn't have one. Same goes for user manuals. I've got almost 100 different user manuals each different because units saw so many revisions. IE, I have 4 different 14/10 EQ manuals (these sell for 455-1000). 4 or 5 different 3BX-DS dynamic range enhancer manuals (these sell 380-550). The 4BX has 1 manual and sells 175-615, generally depending on whether the unit includes the manual and remote, boxes, rack-mouint ears, etc.

Most people don't recognize the dbx name, since they have been strictly a pro recording speialist company for the last 13 years, and are no longer in the home stereo market. However, MOST stereo TV's use dbx technology now-a-days. When they were in the Home stero market, it was all TOP-end equipment, and rivals or beats what's currently available. It's up there with Carver in the audiophile market. Devices are still quite active at places like ebay, audiogon, and other net sites devoted to the audiophile market. I'd guess I have some 200+ dbx units myself.

There, concerning the 4BX, acknowledgement given and noted, not that it was intentional in the second post; I guess I focused too much on Rob's inquiry and made the reply too narrow. My apologies to Jon.

Jim

Hosting Services by ipHouse