Post 11 made on Tuesday October 26, 2004 at 08:23
johnsfine
IR Expert
September 2002
On 10/26/04 02:37 ET, Wes said...
have not had
big a problem with its smaller memory using advanced
codes and button copying.

The KeyMove (button copying/advanced code) memory is seperate from the learning memory. I don't think the 2103 has less than normal KeyMove memory, just less than normal learning memory.

An advanced code for my friend's HD receiver would
have made it nice but I have learned most of what
he needs with just learning.

I'm surprised that fit. IR protocols vary quite a lot in the amount of learning memory they need, so there are some protocols in which you could learn all the keys of a reasonable size original remote onto the 2103. But typically you couldn't.

Now I don't think the 15-1203 will accept JP1
will it.

It requires serious internal modifications. A few people have done so, but I can't believe it's really worth the effort.

Which forces me to use the OFA correct?

I use the 15-2104, which is JP1 ready and has the normal memory capacity (not the half size memory of the 15-2103). Some reported buying a 15-2104 at RS just a few days ago, so there was at least one RS that had one that long after it was discontinued. But most RS stores ran out long ago.

There are also 15-2116 and 15-2117 that are JP1 ready with normal memory.

Is the $19. OFA at Wal-Mart JP1 ready?

Yes. The urc-8810w at Walmart is JP1 ready and usually is the best choice for a JP1 remote.

What software
do you use and where to get it?

[Link: hifi-remote.com]

I also try
to teach these people how to program their remotes
knowing most will not even understand it.

JP1 is something extra for the person who programs the remote to learn. It is not something extra for the person using the remote to learn. Usually JP1 lets you program the remote in ways that require LESS learning by the user than non JP1 could.

Hosting Services by ipHouse