Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Thursday November 18, 2004 at 20:42
pdub
Lurking Member
November 2004
Hello All,

I'm new to this board and have a somewhat complicated (for me) question.

I'm looking to consolidate my remotes and have run into a problem with my existing choice of hardware, and trying to run everything from one remote.

I have spent a couple of hours searching for information on this and other sites, and this seem to be THE place to find answers, so here goes.

First of all my current system consists of:
42" Panasonic Plasma Monitor
Bose Lifestyle 28/35 Home Entertainment System
General Instrument Cable Converter Box
Sony CDP-C245 multi disk CD player

Today I went and purchased a URC-300 remote based on the extensive review I read here on this site. ($180.19 from Hi-Fi Buys just in case you're wondering) I got the remote home, and after watching the included DVD had the Panni, and the GI Cable box programmed in just a few minutes. So far so good. The codes provided for the CD player didn't work, but I figured I'd work that out later.

The problem begins with the Bose system. From what I gather reading here, the URC-300 and the Bose are incompatable since the Bose is an IR emitter/receiver, and the URC-300 is something else. Now the packaging doesn't mention this, but it goes on and on about how you can boost the performance with an add on IR repeater kind of device for additional bucks. I know, they're talking about different things, but at the time of purchase I didn't realize that the remote was going to cause a problem. Or that it talked a different language, if you will.

Anyway it didn't work, and after I called Tech Support, the guy told me that I could buy some other device from some OTHER company that would make the IR talk to the remote or something. Actually I started to get confused at that point. Furthermore, I didn't want to have to go buy something else and find out (possibly) that it didn't work too. I'm trying to make things simpler right?!?

OK, so I make another trip to the store, let the salesman guy know that it doesn't work with Bose and get my money back.

When I get home I start searching for IR remotes, and find some info about using the Bose wired IR emitter (which I have) to learn the remote. But I don't see how that can work since it's still using IR frequency right? And, now I don't have the remote to even test this. I also find some info about OFA 9910 remotes, which by the way sell on-line for a lot less, but then there's talk of a true learning remote, additional tuner codes, not enough memory, a JP1 cable and programming, setup codes that aren't included, toggle bits.....I'm LOST!

If anyone has any ideas about what direction they would go if they were me, I would really appreciate the advice.

Sorry about being so long winded, but like I stated, it got kinda complicated quickly.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Philip

Hosting Services by ipHouse