IR Expert
September 2002
On 12/04/04 13:58 ET, Locdout said...
I've had the 8811 for about 2 years. It's been
great, but the down arrow button is starting to
go (I sometimes have to press it really hard,
or numerous times to get a response). So, I'm
looking for a new remote for X-Mas.

I would have expected it to last better than that. I'm sure its possible to open it up and repair it, but probably not worth the effort if you don't know how and you'd probably need to buy some conductive paint.

If you need a new remote, I suggest a new 8811. If you think you want some other model, then you should think through (and maybe post for comment) the reasons why you think you would prefer another model.

The Kameleon MIGHT be easier to LEARN to use, but the 8811 is easier to actually use and you've already learned (so for you the Kameleon would be harder to learn).

The Kameleon is easier to explain to baby sitters etc., but you haven't mentioned that need.

How does the memory size of the Kameleon compare
to that of the 8811? How many learned codes can
I store?

I'm nearly sure it is the same. The Kameleon design allows them to build models with the same learning capacity as the 8811 or models with twice the learning capacity. But I think they've done mainly models with the same (as 8811) capacity, and I'm pretty sure the 9960 is one of those.

Anyway, if learning capacity is an issue for you, get a JP1 cable and convert your learned signals into "upgrades" so capacity won't be an issue any more.

I've read mixed reviews on the Kameleon's "motion
sensor". Is it really as bad as some people say?
(If I cough will it activate everytime?)

Hopefully someone who knows will answer that one.

Finally, what do the people here think of the
buttons? Are they completely flat or do they
have little bumps that I'm not seeing in the photos?

They couldn't be as good as the real buttons in the 8811. Beyond that, I don't know.

Hosting Services by ipHouse