The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 29 made on Wednesday April 28, 2004 at 12:58
johnsfine
IR Expert
September 2002
Why not use the parallel port version of the JP1 cable? (If you have a printer attached to it, or you have a laptop with either no parallel port or questionable parallel port voltage, then I understand the advantage of USB. But if USB just sounds easier for no specific reason, it probably isn't).

I think a JP1 remote and JP1 cable is the best choice for almost anyone who wants more than what is preprogrammed in a simple universal remote. *I* wouldn't consider something like that Sony remote.

Whether the 15-2116 is the best JP1 choice is a more complicated question. *I* prefer the urc-8810w (only available at Walmart and usually out of stock, but worth checking for). The urc-8811 is the same thing but costs a little more and mostly sold over the net rather than walk in retail. If you get one of the bundles of JP1 cable with 8811 you might not pay noticeably more than getting the 8810 from Walmart and just JP1 cable over the net. Anyway the 8811 should cost you a little less (including shipping) than a 15-2116 (walk in to Radio Shack).

I see no benefit to the LCD (15-2116 has, 8811 lacks) which turns on when you press a key and shows you what device mode you're in. If the key you pressed doesn't do what it should, it faster to assume you forgot to select the right device mode (press the device key and retry the function key) than it is to check the LCD to see if you're in the wrong device mode.

Hosting Services by ipHouse