The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Sunday January 9, 2005 at 15:44
johnsfine
IR Expert
September 2002
On 01/09/05 14:00 ET, Thomas Davie said...
Whether or not device
code settings remained when I started to learn,
I don't know. I'm guessing yes, since use of the
swap key had an effect, and I definately didn't
learn anything for that key.

The device setting does remain for other keys when you do learning. But in this case we can be confident that's not where the signal on the SWAP key came from.

Since you had so little learning memory left when you started with the Advent, we can be confident your remote had many learned signals in it before you started with the Advent. Most likely, the SWAP key with some Philips TV signal (likely, but not necessarily the Philips TV SWAP signal) was one of those learned signals (otherwise it was a KeyMove).

At Radio Shack, a confusing product like this remote has a good chance of having been sold and returned by someone else before you got it. So someone who read a lot on this forum would know to do a full Mfgr reset on such a remote before starting to use it, to avoid any surprises left by a previous owner.

Of course I have no basis for guessing that a previous owner was responsible. Maybe you learned a Philips TV signal on purpose or by accident during that visit to your girlfriend's house.

Also, the full reset would tend to just delay the disaster here. The normal thing to do after TV/0761 fails is do a code search, so you'd discover that some Philips TV setup code (such as TV/0054) mostly works (so you don't need learning to support this device). But then you'd be bringing the disaster command into play yourself.

As I said before on this subject: Philips TV's are very common. A manufacturer who makes a product with firmware that self destructs when it sees a certain Philips TV command has made a defective product and should be held fully resposible for repairing the results.

This message was edited by johnsfine on 01/09/05 15:52 ET.

Hosting Services by ipHouse