Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Saturday July 9, 2005 at 23:14
ofafan
Founding Member
May 2002
dncole,
I think what you are saying is that you can make the receiver work with your Kameleon, but can't make it work through the cabinet. Is this right?

If so, it would be normal. Most devices (there are some exceptions) that receive commands via RF also provide IR reception. There are no OFA remotes (and no mass marketed under any brand to my knowledge) that are universal RF remotes. This issue has been addressed before, and the cost of testing/licensing something like that are very prohibitive.

Your receiver's remote uses RF, the Kameleon uses IR, and the receiver accepts both. To understand why IR doesn't work through the cabinet and RF does requires a more in-depth understanding of the principles of these technologies. I won't get into that here. Look it up on-line. But edmund is right, the only way to control it through the cabinet with your Kameleon is with an IR extender like what he suggested. There are some remotes that transmit a RF signal to a base station and that has an IR "bug" that you can mount inside the cabinet. Some examples are 15-2116, 15-2117, URC-9910, URC-9911, and the HTPro remote.
Jim

Hosting Services by ipHouse