The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday May 22, 2007 at 12:09
Scott in CO
Founding Member
March 2002
I have several OFA and Radio Shack remotes that I've programmed via JP1 over the years, but I haven't kept up with current models. Is there an OFA/RS remote available that supports macros on device keys out-of-the-box without requiring JP1? I have done it many times via JP1 and sometimes extenders, but I'm wondering if any of the newer remotes support this without needing JP1.

This weekend I was visiting my in-laws out of town and they could have really used a new remote with device key macros to select inputs on their TV. Unfortunately I didn't have my PC, JP1 cable, or any other remote with me that I could use to generate TV input discrete codes, so I couldn't really help them simplify things. It got me thinking that if there is an OFA remote available that supports macros on device keys, I could have bought one locally and set it up for them. The remote would likely have all of the discrete input commands already built into it's codeset, so I wouldn't have needed any additional equipment, just access to the web to find the right advanced codes to assign.

I've run into this same situation with other relatives who want help simplifying their remote situation while I'm visiting. I guess I'll have to start carrying more electronics with me!

Hosting Services by ipHouse