The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Saturday August 14, 2004 at 12:58
Mr_E
Long Time Member
July 2004
As already mentioned in my previous post, I'm not 100% sure if this alterings process has something to do with the frequency or with the timing. But its defenitly an alterings process.

I started to work for OFA to do the german CS in 1997 and because Grundig TVs were popular in Germany, I got many calls about Grundigs with this TP 663 remotes (at least 50, probably a lot more). In the first 3 years, I never had problems with these TVs, TV code 0195 always did work.

However, in the next years I worked for OFA, I was very surprised that at one day I got a call from a customer with a Grundig TV with this TP 663 remote and that TV couldn't be operated with 0195. The TP 663 still worked for this TV so I thought something was wrong with the OFA and after doublecheking with my supervisor I offered that customer to exchange his OFA... ... only to find out that the new OFA still couldn't operate the TV though we know that this OFA-model worked in the past for these Grundig TVs!

So this time my supervisor and I consulted our databaseguru (a very nice girl who in my personal opinion really is a kind of Einstein on codes for universal remotes) and than we here about Grundig TVs with this TP 663 and that in some cases 0195 simply wouldn't work.

In my last year at the CS I saw this problem more and more often because of the then there were some older Grundig TVs and TP 663 remotes we were of an older produnctiondate. To avoid misunderstanding: Grundig is a brand who develloped the IR-protocol behind this code 0195 a long time ago and still is using this protocol for new televisions. This protocol is also in use by other brands (Siemens, Blaupunkt,...) and I have seen at least 500 different TV models who are using this codesystem 0195 (just as Sony develloped the IR-protocol behind TV code 0000 twenty years ago and still uses this protocol for new TV models).

You won't have any problems with Grundig TVs who are supposed to work with 0195, unless you have a Grundig with these TP 623 or TP 663 remotes and the TV is already older (remember, when these TVs & the TP 663 were still new, TV code 0195 did always work!).

@johnsfine:
Perhaps I'm wrong in the technical details of this altering process & the IR-eye , but I'm 100% sure about that these issue occur with the Grundig TP 663 remotes. As long as the Grundig TV is quite new, an OFA with TV code 0195 will work fine.

However, when the Grundig TV and the TP 663 are getting older, there is an increasing change that 0195 might not work! When you say that this is not the way that IR-eyes should respond, I believe you right away, because there are so many thousends and thousends of even older TV models than these Grundigs and there we never saw this problem happen. It's really a problem of these (please excuse me Brigit) stupid Grundig TP 623 & TP 663 remotes.

@Brigit:
Just to doublecheck, is it correct that your Grundig TV is not a newer Grundig model with a remote from the TP 663 series, but is already an older model? Let's say I expect the age of you're Grundig TV closer to 6-10 years old or perhaps even older than to 5 or less years. Is that correct?

@Rob:
you right, this JP1 stuff is very interesting, can you imagine that in all these years I worked for the OFA CS I never have heard about these JP1-kits?! I will also send my former OFA collegues (and still good friends) an email about these JP1-kits, I think I'm not the only one who wants to buy a kit!

This message was edited by Mr_E on 08/14/04 14:06.

Hosting Services by ipHouse