Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Sunday December 23, 2001 at 00:54
Larry Fine
Loyal Member
August 2001
Zinon, you left out a few small details, such as:

The relay and it's contact terminals must be housed in either a non-metallic or a grounded metal enclosure.

The terminals marked #85 and #86 should be insulated, as they are carrying line voltage (120v).

The aforementioned terminals must be wired in series with the black line wire in the power strip.

The best way to accomplish this is to use a box that has a receptacle for the power strip on it and a power cord sized large enough for your amps.

Here's what I did: I made my own switched power strip, using a strip I removed the manual switch from. I actually managed to fit two relays inside the power strip. Here's why I needed two:

My pre-pro has no switched 120v outlets, but has a 12v trigger output that is only capable of supplying 15ma, and the power relay I used for the current I wanted to switch needed more current, so I used a reed relay (12v coil) to switch the power relay (120v coil).

I plug in the miscellaneous items into this strip, such as my sub amps, wall warts, the rear-channel processor, etc. This strip is plugged into the socket on the Craftsman autoswitch, so turning on the pre-pro triggers the power strip, which in turn triggers the autoswitch.

One advantage of the cascaded switching arrangement is that not everything has to be on the same circuit.

Larry
www.fineelectricco.com

Hosting Services by ipHouse