Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday April 4, 2006 at 08:53
Mr Griffiths
It's my lucky day!
February 2005
I have a non remote related problem.
I was hoping some one would be kind enough to assist me.

I have two PC's one with windows XP home the other with Windows XP media center both have 10/100 NIC cards one PC (the main one)has a USB ADSL Speedtouch 330 modem connected .I have a Crossover cable connected between the two.

I want to leave my main P.C on all the time and share files ,printer and its internet connection with the second pc via the crossover cable.

Yes i understand that a router is the best way to do it.
But it is supposed to be possible to do it with the equipment i have.(i maybe wrong)

I have spent about eight solid hours trying to get it to work i have used all the network wizards,tried setting IP addresses and gateways and its all a jumble in my head now.

i have googled the problem and gone through all the set up guides i can find.

On my task bar on the main PC i can see two sets of the two linked P.C icons one when you hover says speed touch connection at 8.1 Mbps it also says shared in the properties and the second says local area network connection speed 100 Mbps status
connected

on the second PC i have just one set of the icon saying local area now connected at 100Mbps.

in network places they just dont see each other.

i cant share files from one pc to the other or log on to the internet on the second pc?!

I have switched off both firewalls still nothing.

anyone have a suggestion that doesnt involve buying a router?

I am also available on msn messenger on

I would be very grateful for any help

thank you

Last edited by Mr Griffiths on May 13, 2012 15:01.

Hosting Services by ipHouse