The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday December 19, 2006 at 04:37
Mr Griffiths
It's my lucky day!
February 2005
After being on several forums i have noticed many Canadians in there location section put
Canada..Eh? ....whats the "Eh?" all about?

wikipedia says(not that you can believe it)

{The only usage of eh? that is exclusive to Canada, according to the Canadian Oxford Dictionary, is for "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed" as in, "It's four kilometres away, eh, so I have to go by bike." Similarly, "It's nine-o'clock, eh?" means "You do know that it's nine o'clock? You are aware that it's nine-o'clock?". This phrase can also be taken as a direction question, such as "It's nine-o'clock, right?"(well that cant apply to Canada eh? can it?)

In that case, eh? is used to confirm the attention of the listener and to invite a supportive noise such as "Mm" or "Oh" or "Okay". It essentially is an interjection meaning, "I'm checking to see you're listening so I can continue." (well this could apply to Canada eh? i suppose)

"Eh" can also be added to the end of a declarative sentence to turn it into a question. For example: "The weather is nice." becomes "The weather is nice, eh?" This same phrase could also be taken as "The weather is nice, don't you agree?".(well that cant apply to Canada eh? can it?)

Depending on the speaker's tone or the dialectal standard, eh can also be perceived as rude or impolite, as "Repeat that!", and not a request.(well that cant apply to Canada eh? can it?)

Further examples of Canadian usage include: "I know, eh?" (Agreement), "Yeah, eh?" (Agreement; tone of voice changes meaning slightly). "I know. Eh!" (Pause between 'know' and 'eh' and emphasise 'eh'. This is an excited agreement.) Although technically questions, these are also said as statements.

The usage of "eh" in Canada is often mocked in the United States, where some view its use as a stereotypical Canadianism. Many Canadians dispute its use (for example, singer Don Freed in his song "Saskatchewan" declares "What is this 'Eh?' nonsense? I wouldn't speak like that if I were paid to.").

It is often joked about by Canadians as well, and is sometimes even a part of the national identity. For example, a Canadian national team is sometimes referred to as the "Eh? team." Likewise, at one of their concerts, a member of the Canadian Brass, referring to their arrangement of the jazz standard, "Take the A Train," said that they'd considered calling it "Take the train, eh?" }

Taking the above into account in a forum with location Canada eh ? take the second example of how to use eh? if it were to mean Canada OK? that sounds defensive or sarcastic is that how its meant? or is it more like Canada ..Yes! ?

Hosting Services by ipHouse