The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 25 made on Tuesday June 24, 2008 at 15:32
djy
RC Moderator
August 2001
Perhaps it's just me, but I feel that Slash and Gore doesn't necessarily make for good horror. Indeed, if I were pushed, I would say that the two films that had most influence on me; the previously mentioned The Haunting and Dead of Night, had none.

Now that's not to say I don't enjoy the odd blood letting; the 60's Hammer films, the Blade trilogy, the much derided Underworld films and latterly Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd, being just a few that spring to mind. I just wish that producers/directors/writers would think a little more about the story (which goes for all films really) before falling back on the (hackneyed) dismembered limbs and guts.

On June 24, 2008 at 11:48, Mr. Stanley said...
Dawn of the Dead -- European Version?

No sure I've ever seen it - whatever version. Now Shaun Of The Dead is a different matter, but this is comedy horror (or rom-zom-com as it liked to dub itself). Others in this genre that I've enjoyed are Arsenic And Old Lace and The Evil Dead, though I'm not sure that latter was meant to be such - I just found it so over the top I couldn't help but laugh.

PS
Have just remembered Night Of The Demon; another wonderful non slash and gore horror film.

Hosting Services by ipHouse