The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Sunday August 24, 2008 at 22:43
Daniel Tonks
Wrangler of Remotes
October 1998
Personally I like larger fonts. I don't see why I'd want to squint or press my nose to my high-resolution screen to read text no larger than the fine print on an insurance contract. However, some people are real sticklers about this kind of thing... the smaller the better. It's like it's a point of pride to say you read text three pixels high on your screen!

I think that considering how these so-called browser defaults were developed when the average screen resolution was 640x480 or 800x600 on a 15" monitor (where 100% of the default font size really DID look too big), that 100% these days on a 19" 1280x1024 screen or 1440x800 on a 21" or 1920x1200 on a 24", really is appropriate.

Now, the font "verdana" (as used here) was designed to re-compensate for tiny text sizes on big screens, and looks "bigger" at a particular point size than others like Tahoma or Arial or Times New Roman. So I'd probably end up somewhere around 90-95% if I really wanted to do things my way.

But you're not forced into whatever I choose. I've designed RC to support "flexible" fonts, so if you change the "base" size in your browser (for example, change IE7 "normal" to "smaller" or "larger", or in Firefox/Opera change from 16px to 14px or 20px or whatever) then the entire site's relative text size will change and things should still "flow" properly.

And that's without manually zooming in, which also enlarges the page width, images, etc. I only used fixed font sizes - which can't be adjusted by the user merely by changing the "base" font - in special circumstances where something HAS to be a particular size. Many sites are designed with nothing BUT fixed font sizes, and they drive me nuts (and I'm sure anyone with poor eyesight).

I've changed the font used on the file area titles a bit... I'm sort of getting away from that particular look anyways (that bold italic font used to be everywhere).

Hosting Services by ipHouse