The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 21 made on Sunday August 31, 2008 at 01:21
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
I'm assuming that the Reply mechanism isn't there because we can't reply on that version, but I'd like to see it.

Thank you for adding page navigation at the top of the page! "Jump to Last Post" is also a great addition. I just realized how often that's the one I want to see.

Speaking of pages, the sample Custom Installers Forum says there are 546 pages. I've always wondered how I could get to, say, page 200 if I were looking for something I couldn't quite remember, but I might be able to narrow down if I could browse more or less by date. Is there a way to enter a page number and go there? Or a date?

One of the things I prefer here at RC over other forum software is more posts per page here. Looking at thread 16446, about camera pigtails, if I place the top of post 2 at the top of the page, the old software gives me 2, 3 ,4 ,5, and most of 6. The new version gives me 2, 3, 4, and 5. On that basis, I prefer the old version: there’s more stuff per monitor page.

Thanks for keeping things at 20 posts per page. It’s helpful to be able to go to particular pages of a thread when I’m looking for things.

Can I assume if there’s a box labeled “RC Mail” that I can actually send RC mail to that person? Is the box missing if they have disabled it? As it stands now, that link is in the profile and you’re told whether it will work, so there are no false clicks. If it won't give me a successful result, it should say so before I click on it. See the next paragraph for why I think "disappointing false clicks" are a thing to avoid.

This site is so good that you've probably been there, but have you seen, on www.websitesthatsuck.com, their list of things that will kill a website? Their motto is "learn good website design by looking at bad website design," but they've gone beyond making us laugh to having a free list of more than a hundred things to include or exclude.

It's a great site for gaining insight about why we don't like some other sites, and asking yourself some of the questions there could help improve things even more. I love that I see ZERO problems with remotecental. That list might help you decide things you're on the fence about.

I have zero idea how difficult this would be to do, but it would be nice if RC expanded to fill the width of pixels on the display. This would be some setting set to variable, determined in the computer. It looks to me like the site is built as an 800 x 600 site, but if it expanded out, we'd get even more posts per page.

At the other end of the spectrum, is there a way to force the occasional photo that's too wide for the page to fit into the page? Every once in a while someone posts a photo that makes us have to scroll left and right for the entire page...again, a reason to keep individual pages, so if someone submits one such photo, the entire thread does not become a pain in the ass?

Thank you for keeping the targets large. One thing I don't like about another couple of sites is how tiny the active clickable area is on most page links.

Could you also put this thread into the Custom Installers Forum, or perhaps have its own category before Custom Installation World? I just checked from the home page, and this doesn't appear except in Intermission. We shouldn't have to find it only after we decide to fart around for a while and go to Intermission! I don't know what's more "On Topic" than "How The Site Works And Whether You'll Hate Me In The Morning (Webmaster-Wise, That Is)."

Edit:

Well, I'm in intermission, so I looked around. I found this under the oatmeal Casper:
Re. my other query. Do you intend keeping the new page size to 15 posts?

I suppose it doesn't much matter how many posts you put per page, but I like twenty and I could adjust to 15. 10 would mean too many page changes and it literally would make me less interested in the site. Damn, how picky am I? But that's how I feel. Surprising but true.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse