The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Wednesday March 5, 2008 at 22:26
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
Whoa.... Hold on... I'm not saying it's right to lie to the public.

then we agree on that one thing :)

However I agree with Mr. Nishidato that the regular joe comsumer, with the low to mid tier HD display will not notice a difference, or care even if they do. The only reason I even posted was in response to people condemning Toshiba for doing what every manufacturer does.

I don't think people are disgusted by Toshiba's reply because they said that some might not see the difference, I think they are condemning them because for 2 years they said they cared about consumers, they cared about HDM, that everyone should get an HDM player because HDM is so much better then DVD but now all of a sudden no one can tell the difference between DVD and HDM. The funny thing is that a couple of weeks ago (just before the original announcement of the end of HD DVD) I was still pointing out to brain dead HD DVD fanboys that there was no way that Toshiba would continue making HD DVD players (even as dual players) and their response was that Toshiba is not like other companies and they won't abandon their customers.

I think people should not hold a grudge wrt companies, there are different divisions, different employees and things are in constant flux. So if company A is good at X then get X from them and if it is bad at Y then get Y from somewhere else. On the other hand I think Toshiba really screwed themselves with this war and in the AV biz if they ever come out with a new format their name will most likely be mud, so I would be more reluctant to pick a Toshiba backed format in the next war (unless there are many other backers), but not because Toshiba backed HD DVD but just because they POed most if not all the studios. They POed Fox in 2005 when they called them retards for wanting BD+ because AACS is unbreakable. They POed LG which was why the CEO pre-announced in Dec 2007 Warner will be dropping HD DVD in Jan. They POed Viacom (Paramount and DW) by not holding up their part of the bargain and not paying the rest of the bribe they offered for exclusivity.

Shame on the comsumer for not educating themselves before making a purchase

But think about it, I agree Toshiba's (or anyone else’s) job is to market their product and a PR statement by default will highlight the pros while downplaying the cons (though I think in this case that some of it has gone beyond good taste. But the issue is that how is the consumer supposed to educate them selves and make an informed decision if there are supposed reviewers, analysts, journalists and knowledgeable enthusiasts on forums, purposefully and malignantly trying to misinform them?

Hosting Services by ipHouse