Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday March 8, 2001 at 13:04
James Kelly
Historic Forum Post
Received e-mail yesterday (3/7/01) from OmniRemote stating: "Category buttons are not currently allowed in macros, but that feature will
be included in OmniRemote v1.2." The release date is unknown as yet. So, it sounds like some needed enhancements are a release away.

Got some cool ideas Andy. I had not thought of CD selection label/macros.

As far as bitmaps are concerned, that issue has always confused me, especially with respect to the Pronto. I like the idea of full artistic control of what shows on screen, but the complexity and time needed to learn about how to design, and implement all the various custom buttons has been too much for me.

I don't have the time, or the desire for that matter, to become a Pronto gear-head. I am full-time designing and installing AV systems. I need someone else to do the work and build a properly designed remote control that programs efficiently in a snap, so that I can concentrate on my business. I need a simple, good looking and good functioning solution.

Once you see a great looking set of 'fancy' custom bitmaps they make all the others undesirable. That especially goes for the stock buttons on the Pronto. Very plain, very boring. I don't understand why Philips has not 'upgraded' the stock look.

Then add to that the major problem of trying to understand all this bitmap mumbo-jumbo from the Macintosh perspective. Got no PC, don't want one.
I do have Softwindows '98 emulator which works OK (it has it's moments) and after waiting 9 months for their newest version, I buy it and it does not support USB! My computer has USB, thus I cannot not connect to anything!!

What I like about the PDA approach is that it programs without need of a PC in a fairly reasonable amount of time. Even in my Mac environ., I can backup the custom files I design thru the PDA's USB cradle. And it works! If needed I can use ORDesktop on my Mac thru Softwin. emulation and then export the files to the PDA. So that works too.

Are the brains at OmniRemote listening?

Hosting Services by ipHouse