Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday December 27, 2000 at 15:34
David B.
Historic Forum Post
I used to be a pretty good programmer. I just got my wife a Handspring Visor and will be getting myself one shortly. I'm impressed with all the shareware and freeware apps that are available for these devices, but it's obvious to me that if there was a Visual-Basic like programming language for the PalmOS I'd be able to make my own applications.

I'm a college professor, so here's a few of my ideas...

Grade book/attendance calculator. I insist on attendance and being on time. If I could "log-in" students as they arrive, noting the time, then my end-of-semester grade calculations would be simplified immensly. Each project (I teach an architectural design studio) is weighted differently, and if that value was already in the palm gradebook, it too would simplify end-of-semester grade calculation.

Scorepad. My wife and I enjoy Scrabble, Boggle, Yahtzee, and a few other games. I'd like to have an automatic scorepad that you could enter player's names into, the winning score, and each player's score for their turns. The Visor would keep a running total of each score, and play a celebration tune when someone wins.

Mini-CAD perspective generator. The thing my students have the hardest time learning is how to draw a perspective image of their designs. Mathematically, perspective drawing is trivial on a computer. A simple CAD program I could "draw" their floor plans into, then generate any wireframe perspective view from would be a great teaching tool.

Lastly, does anyone know of a printer or plotter interface for the Palm/Visor family? I'd like to see something like the sync cradle that plugged into a USB printer instead of to your computer. Perhaps a simple printer that had a Palm/Visor port right on it. If that's too hard, how about a printer with IR receiving capability. It could receive print jobs from a palm/visor via IR.

Dave

Hosting Services by ipHouse