The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Saturday July 13, 2002 at 05:24
Drewzel
Long Time Member
July 2002
I have a HP Jornada 5680 running Pocket PC 2002. I have just downloaded the trial version of TV Remote 4.0. I have only programmed 2 buttons just to "have a play"......since I am coming round to the idea of a PPC rather than a Pronto Pro or RC9200....seems to me much better vlue for money. Anyway.........IR range I found to be interesting:.....

My Sony TV responds from around 20 feet away.....whilst my Powermid (situated just under the IR eye of the TV)....which I use to control the rest of the equipment in an upstairs bedroom only responds from around 6-7 feet.....and seems to be more directional too. So it would seem that the IR range is also a function of the sensitivity of your equipment. You can always purchase a IR booster of course.....or the new Ipaq 39XX series which seems to have a higher powered IR transmitter.....so I would have thought that you should have no problems with IR range at all.

At least here in the UK the price of the top spec. new Ipaq is on a par with the Pronto Pro recommended price....although can be obtained for around £500....although given what the Ipaq can do in addition.....seems to be that it is no contest.

Andrew

Hosting Services by ipHouse