Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Thursday August 7, 2003 at 07:59
Drewzel
Long Time Member
July 2002
Chris.....I too am in the UK.
I have decided to go the PDA route also. I am going to get the basic Dell Axim (£190-ish). Use TV Remote (free to download and try from pdawin.com....$15 to register. (up to version 5.5 now). If you find the IR range of the Axim limited then buy the PDA-ir device (from Laser.com in the UK....cost about £25.

I have the remote programme..... I am developing my CCF using Tonto (a CCF development programme)....just an alternative to ProntoEdit.....pending my purchase of the Axim. I use a HP Jornada to test the CCF each time I update it......the IR range is limited to a few feet but is ok for testing. You might find the IR range of a PDA is ok for your needs, though the Axim without the PDA-ir device has a particularly weak IR signal.

In my own opinion the Pronto Pro is grossly overpriced for what it is......the PDA route gives you so much more as well......a better quality screen for starters!! OK the solution is not perfect, but depending on which PDA you buy you can be up and running for less than half the price of a Pronto.

I rest my case.

Jordan Wigley, who you might notice posts often here has used an Axim, PDA-ir and TV remote software with no problems what-so-ever.

Have fun!!

Regards,

Andrew

Hosting Services by ipHouse