Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Friday August 8, 2003 at 14:08
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
Not a glowing review of it

With only a single IR emitter, I was sceptical of the Nevo’s rated 50-foot infrared range. So what’s a sceptical remote control reviewer to do? Run it through the industry non-standard Menacing Thick Fluffy Blanket (MTFB) test! This is the place where la crème de la control rises to the top.

Our story so far: with Xantech’s URC-2 capturing top honors in the 2001 remote control season with an impressive final tally of 5.0, the “best infrared performance” trophy has remained just out of reach of all contenders. With an official range that’s 20 feet shorter than the URC-2, does the Nevo stand a chance? With only one emitter, can it even hope to surpass multi-emitter remotes rated at just 33 feet?

Our journey through the land of blue and white polyester begins at level 1, with a single layer of fluffy blanket to sparkle through. On a cold winter’s night, one often prefers to keep the remote close at hand, under the covers.

[Insert screeching sound here.]

Hold everything! Nothing. Nada. Zip. To say that I was speechless is an understatement! I have yet to test a remote that was unable to get past level 1 from the standard testing distance. At 5 feet away and pointed directly at the receiver I was able get commands through the blanket, but anything further and there was nothing but silence from the amp. In all fairness, without the blanket I was able to get as far away as 25 feet, a far cry from 50, but control was exceedingly directional and the Nevo needed to be pointed exactly at what was being controlled. In normal use, from a normal distance, the Nevo should perform acceptably, but don’t plan on bouncing infrared off the walls like some other remotes can do.

Hosting Services by ipHouse