The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Monday July 28, 2003 at 14:47
JordanW
Long Time Member
July 2002
There is not really a difference in the IR port on other PDAs, although some do reach a little further. The IR port on the Axim is pretty weak, and only reaches about 4-5 feet, while some PDAs reach around 8-9. But it is still recommended to get an IR extender of some sort for the best results, as the stock IR port is not very reliable for remote control use anyhow.

There is not a PDA with two CompactFlash slots, except for the iPaq when using the dual CF sleeve (bulky add-on though). There will soon be released some SDIO (secure digital I/O) Wireless cards, but they will be pretty pricey in comparison to CompactFlash Wireless cards. The Axim does not support SDIO, but most newer PocketPCs (like the HP iPaq 2215) do support SDIO. However, the 2215 is more expensive than the Axim.

I still consider the Axim to me the most cost efficient PDA to use as a remote. You can pick up the Basic (300 MHz) model for just a little over $200, and the Advanced (400 MHz) model for just around $300. Sometimes you can get them even cheaper if there are any promotions or coupon codes running at Dell. I've been using the Axim Advanced as a remote with a PDA-ir CF extender and PDAwin software since back in March. It has worked flawlessly for me, and I wouldn't change a thing. Even once I upgrade to a new PDA when a newer model I like becomes available, I still plan to keep this same Axim as a dedicated remote.

Jordan M. Wigley
Aximsite.com Moderator
[email protected]

Hosting Services by ipHouse