Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 145 made on Wednesday July 12, 2000 at 03:56
GregoriusM
Historic Forum Post
The Palm is not a better solution than the Pronto (in most respects).

The Palm screen responds to your finger, but as Daniel posted somewhere else on this site, you get used to using the back of a finger, as he does on his Pronto.

No, the backlight does not automatically turn on, but can be made to turn on by just wiping your finger from the Graphiti area to the top of the screen. Not too hard to do. And don't forget that the newer b/w screens can have either the new backlighting, or the older style backlighting. Email me if you want to know how to change it.

****The really nice thing about ORDesktop is it's ability to automatically convert codes from the Pronto CCF's on this site, to it's own codes, thereby giving OmniRemote users a VAST resource for their equipment. Peter has done a great job on ORDesktop!!!

But, as I said, while OmniRemote is a good product as is ORDesktop (I beta'd it for Peter), the Palm is not a dedicated remote like the Pronto. There are great things in store for the software (both OmniRemote and ORDesktop) that will make it so much better, but right now the Pronto is the better unit for most people.

By the way, many kudos to Peter for that ability to convert Pronto codes. The OmniRemote people should be giving him shares in their company for that one! Elevates a good product for the Palm PDA, to a very good one! And wait for version 2!!!

Also of note: the Handspring Visor springboard module of OmniRemote doesn't seem to have the IR range problems that most of the Palm's do.

Greg

Hosting Services by ipHouse