Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 136 made on Tuesday June 20, 2000 at 20:19
jmonty
Historic Forum Post
Thanks to PDD on having started this thread, I have found the OmniRemote to be a good solution for my remote problem. Therefore I thought I would share my experiences.

I wanted to control my TiVo from another room using another remote. I considered purchasing a 2nd TiVo remote, but this was undesireable for two reasons. First, it would cost $40 to get a 2nd remote from the manufacturer, and second, the LeapFrog IR extender I already had did not work well with the TiVo remote due to the shape of the remote. So getting a 2nd TiVo remote was not really the solution I wanted.

I already have a Pronto, but I did not want to use it in this application for two reasons. One was that I did not want to leave the Pronto remote in the "other" room, the other was that the Pronto remote just seemed to bulky for where I was going to store it.

So after doing some searching on the RemoteCentral site and finding this thread, I found out about the OmniRemote software for the Palm. This solution was perfect for me, because I had a friend how was no longer using her Palm III, and I already had the Leap Frog remote extender, so all I had to do was purchase the OmniRemote software for $20 and I was set.

The OmniRemote software, as it currently is, is definitely limited in many ways as compared to the Pronto, but it is still a very useful and capable learning remote. It seems that all OmniRemote needs is a bunch of software enhancements and it will really be able to give the Pronto some stiff competition. Kudos to them.

Hosting Services by ipHouse