Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 39 made on Sunday July 4, 1999 at 00:53
PDD
Historic Forum Post
It seems the Palm III is down to $135. Check the message written by Jeff. (Hope you don't mind, but I thought it was appropriate to include it in this post).

Written by Jeff on 07/01/99 16:16:39

I was looking to replace my 4 remotes with 1 and be able to program the interface (including labels and macros) to my specifications -- and I had better things to spend $300-$400 on.

I read ALL the messages and reviews EVERYWHERE and narrowed it down to the Sony RM-AV2000 or using the Palm Pilot. I decided on the Palm over the Sony because 1) I wanted the ability to program the labels and make the thing very customized and dummy-proof and 2) I needed to order some computer equipment and I found an offer that included a free Palm III -- I actually got two of them. The Palm III can actually be bought for about $135 now -- close to the price of the Sony, yet a more versatile device.

I did consider a Pronto or similar device with a nicer remote interface than the Palm. Instead of paying $300-$400 to buy one of those programmable jobs with the slicker looking interfaces I spent the money on a new receiver with Digital Dolby, DTS, on screen menus, and digital and S-video inputs up the yin-yang (JVC RX888 - hard to beat for $350)!

So on to the point of my message. I loaded Omniremote onto the Palm and programmed a few buttons. I quickly found out the IR signal worked from 8 feet on my cable box, from 1.5 feet on my Kenwood receiver only with the glass door on the cabinet open, and not at all on my Mitsubushi big screen.

Then a friend called and I told him about the two free Palm's I got and we worked out a deal where he would buy the 2MB upgrade for his Palm Professional and I would trade him straight across for one of my new Palm III. This way, I got an IR (comes on the 2MB upgrade) that was more powerful than the Palm V and the add-on IR from the Omniremote people, AND I didn't have to use the Palm upside down. I would highly recommend going this route by buying a used Palm Professional and then spending $50 for the upgrade.

Now everything works great, even the TV. The range still isn't quite as good as the stock remotes, especially on the Kenwood, but I am hoping the new JVC receiver will have better IR pickup. One trick to improve range is to hold the button down a little bit as opposed to quickly tapping it when you are "training" the Palm.

The only thing I don't like is the fact I can't make the macros on Omniremote change to another screen. You can make the macros execute buttons on the different screens but you can't get it to actually change to a different screen at the end of the macro. Hopefully, they will add this in a future release.

I am also loading a drink recipe program and storing our telephone book on the remote as we make a lot of phone calls from siting on the couch. I really like the versatility of using this type of device instead of a dedicated remote device despite the more basic looking interface.

My bottom line advice to those looking for a remote is; if you are a big home theatre junky, have a lot of components (more than 5) or your components are more than 10-12 feet away, and you don't have something better to spend the $350 on, buy something like the Pronto.

If you have something better to spend $300+ on, (especially for a frickn' remote), yet you want programmable capabilities similar to something like a Pronto (with a bit less visually appealing screen interface), and you don't sit farther away than 10 or 12 feet from your equipment, get your hands on an old Palm Professional (probably worth about $75 from a friend or maybe on E-bay) and pay $50 for the 2MB upgrade.

If you just plain don't want to spend $300+ or don't want to program a remote from scratch, or have a lot of components, or sit more than 10-12 feet away from your equipment, go with the Sony for about $120.

Hosting Services by ipHouse