Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 37 made on Saturday July 3, 1999 at 21:24
Todd Besselievre
Historic Forum Post
I just received my Sony AV-2000 ($109 from Computability) and haven't programmed it yet, but I am already considering sending it back and getting a Palm Pilot/Omniremote. I still am trying to decide if the Palm Pilot is worth the additional $ over the Sony AV-2000.

As I understand it, the original Palm Pilot (selling for $60 on ebay) requires a memory/IR card to be able to transmit a signal). The IR card is now selling about $90 on ebay. The omniremote software is only $20. No IR extender is needed for the IR card. Therefore, to use an original Palm Pilot as a remote still costs at least $170 ($90+$60+$20).

If one can get a Palm III for $165, then as a remote it will cost $205($165 + $20 software + $20 for IR extender).

I assume that the non-remote features of the Palm III (backlit screen, etc?) are more than $35 better than an original Palm Pilot, so between the two I would probably choose the Palm III.

Now I see my choice as keeping the Sony, or sending it back (restocking fee?) and spending another $100 for the Palm III-as-a-remote.

Hosting Services by ipHouse